Pittsburgh, also known as the “Steel City” or the “City of Bridges,” is a must-see destination. Okay, maybe I’m a little biased, but hear me out. There are so many things that make this city amazing, like it’s charm and culture, obsession for the “Black and Gold,” and love for pierogies.
Having lived in Pittsburgh for the past four years, I’ve had the opportunity to explore the city first hand. If you’ve never been, or you want to come back, here is a list of things that you have to do in Pittsburgh. I promise that you won’t be disappointed.
- Ride the incline and take in the gorgeous views of Mt. Washington. The best views of the city are up on Mt. Washington. I don’t get to do this enough, but when I do, I’m always reminded of how beautiful this city is.
- Go to Pamela’s and get some specialty hotcakes. Imagine sliced bananas and melted chocolate chips rolled into a thin, crepe-like pancake. Oh, and it’s loaded with whipped cream on top. Pamela’s is also known for Lyonnaise Potatoes, which are delicious. There are a few locations throughout Pittsburgh, and I’m lucky to have one a few blocks away.
- Take in a sporting event. PNC Park is one of the most beautiful ball parks in the country, and Heinz Field is great too. Both have unbeatable views of the three rivers and the city. Attending a Penguins game on my list of things I have to do.
- Primanti Brothers. Chances are that you’ve heard about the sandwiches with the fries on them. Just go and try one, and I promise you’ll understand how fantastic they are.
- Ice skating at PPG Place. This one I have yet to try, but I’m hoping to knock it off this year. Great way to enjoy the holiday lights downtown.
- Visit the Cathedral of Learning. Pitt students affectionately call it “Cathy” and some people even think that it looks like Hogwart’s. The architecture is amazing, and you can take tours of the nationality rooms.
- Order fries at the Original Hotdog Shop. Order fries at theOriginal Hotdog Shop. Right down the block from Primanti Brothers and Pamela’s in Oakland, the “O” has unbelievably good french fries. Be cautious about sizing. A small could easily feed a family of four. Don’t go buy the containers they put on the wall. They will give you double what the container can hold.
- History. Pittsburgh has a lot of great museums, but this one is my favorite. The North American animals exhibit is incredible (and very realistic). The Mattress Factory and the Andy Warhol Museum are must-sees too.