If you’re looking for a blog that features classic, timeless style, then Sydney’s blog, Summer Wind, is your go to. Ever since I came across her blog, it has quickly become one of my favorite blogs to read. I knew I had to feature her. Plus, she’s a fellow Pittsburgh blogger. How awesome is that?
Not only is the blog great, but so is the woman behind it. I had the opportunity to meet Sydney last week at a blogging panel. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met! She offered some great insight and advice related to blogging and life.
Thank you so much, Sydney!
- What made you decide to start Summer Wind? When did you start? I started in May of 2009, which was also the end of my freshman year of college. Earlier that semester, I had been googling around for ‘monogrammed towels’ and came across a blog. I started reading and found myself coming back every day to read more. When the semester ended and I found myself with extra free time, I decided to start my own. It was on a total whim–I had no plan in place–I just started writing…and that’s how Summer Wind was born!
- What’s your favorite part about living in Pittsburgh? What’s a must-do activity for visitors who are new to the “Steel City?” Oh gosh…I am so in love with my city…I don’t even know where to start. I think, hands down, the best part of living in Pittsburgh is the people. It sounds so cheesy, but everyone is so incredibly nice. We all have that Pittsburgh thing in common and I truly believe most Pittsburghers just want to help other Pittsburghers. It makes for an awesome atmosphere not only for fun, but even professionally, too. As for visitors, my first stop is always to Mt. Washington for the views. I would consider myself pretty well traveled, but Mt. Washington takes my breath away every single time.
- What are you most looking forward to about the upcoming holiday season? I love love love the holidays. I really get into them and love the spirit and love that comes out during the season. I love Christmas movies and music…I definitely think those are my two favorites. I also love being with friends and family. Now is the time when all of my friends come home and family comes to visit…it always makes me feel full of happiness!
- What’s your go to Starbucks order? I just started working in a building downtown and there is a Starbucks right in the lobby–I’m guilty of going daily. Oops. I usually stick to black coffee…I go with a venti dark roast (my favorite is their french roast) but sometimes I’ll get a cappuccino or treat myself to a pumpkin spice latte!
- How would you describe your sense of style? I used to to be super preppy in high school and college, but recently, as I’ve been immersed into the working world for the past two years, I’ve seen my personal style grow to classic and timeless with some preppy attributes.
- What’s one piece of clothing or an accessory that every girl should have in her wardrobe? Definitely cashmere. Living in Virginia for college, I forgot how cold the winters are here in Pittsburgh. Cashmere, for me, is one of those luxuries that I’m totally willing to splurge on! I also think a crisp white shirt is an absolute necessity.
- You balance a career and blogging. What is one piece of advice you have for young women who are entering the corporate world? These are all such good questions. Honestly, I struggle with balancing my career and blogging. I know I’ll never achieve that ‘perfect’ balance, but I think that’s what pushes me to work harder in both arenas. I think if you want to be successful in the corporate world, don’t let yourself be intimidated. Everyone is older than you and has more experience, that’s just how it is when you start at the bottom, but you have to be sure of yourself and what you want.
- What is one thing you wish you knew when you first started blogging? This is a tough one–I actually don’t think I would have it any other way!
- What is one blogging goal you hope to achieve in the next year? I would love to see some of my work in a print magazine, and it’s always fun to do work with those that you truly admire…so definitely continue to work with some of my favorite brands and people!
- Where do you see yourself in the next five years? I’d like to think I have it all figured out, but I definitely do not. It’s crazy to think that, in 5 years, I will be 29…woah. So I would hope I become more established in my career…and who knows what blogging will be like 5 years from now. I’ve been blogging for almost 6 years, now, and the way blogs function are drastically different from when I started, so I can only imagine how blogging will grow and change as time goes on!