When I came across Lauren’s blog, DC Girl in Pearls, my first thought was why I hadn’t found it sooner? From her chic style to delicious recipes, she’s the girl I want to be. And she lives in DC, how cool is that?
Thanks, Lauren for allowing me to pick your brain!
1. What made you decide to start DC Girl in Pearls? When did you start? I started DC Girl in Pearls in May of 2011, I had a month off between the end of my junior year of college and the start of an internship. I love politics and am a complete news junkie but was looking for a creative outlet to share my passion for style, simple recipes + cocktails. And voila, DC Girl in Pearls was born!
2. What’s the best part of living in DC? I’d say being surrounded by history! I live on Capitol Hill so the homes + architecture have wonderful character. Taking a walk through the city, you’ll stumble upon a new piece of Americana. The other week, I spied a beautiful home and it turns out to be the former home of John Philip Sousa, the musician who composed “The Stars and Stripes Forever!”
3. What is your favorite kind of blog post to write? Even though they are the longest posts to complete, I love the recipe + cocktail posts. Grocery shopping is oddly therapeutic for me and I love building a meal or drink out of an item that caught my eye on the shelf.
4. You’ve had a long day and want to make something quick and healthy. What’s your go-to recipe? Trader Joe’s microwave brown rice + steamed broccoli with Trader Joe’s Soyaki sauce. Or sriracha. It takes less than 10 minutes! I pretty much lived on this meal when I first started cooking for one.
5. How would you describe your sense of style? I would say classic, conservative and colorful.
6. If you could only wear one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it be? Probably my Jacks, a shift dress and a cardigan. It’s effortless and comfy!
7. Who or where do you get your inspiration from? Inspiration strikes me when I least expect it, I keep a Notes section on my iPhone that I fill with ideas whenever they hit me. I love reading Living magazine and scrolling through Pinterest before bed. Often times, I pick a clothing item, craft supply, food item and brainstorm how I can elevate it in the simplest possible way. I’m a big brainstorm advocate.
8. What advice do you have for new bloggers? This piece of advice is something I still constantly remind myself: if you have an idea for a post, put it out there. Don’t wait until it’s absolutely perfect. Because at that point, someone else will have the same idea + get there first!
Also, don’t be afraid to say no to product reviews and brand collaborations. It’s exciting when brands start to reach out to you but do your homework and research that brand. Does their brand mesh with yours? Readers will start to question your credibility if it seems like you’re promoting products just for the personal benefits.
9. What is one blogging goal you hope to achieve in the next year? Hmm, I have a lot of ideas in the works for DC Girl for this year but right now, my top priority is a blog re-design. Both my blog and I have grown up and I want my blog to reflect that evolution.
10. Where do you see yourself in the next five years? I’d love to continue working in the digital space and I hope that my blog and its brand will be along for the ride, too!